Wagner rejects Senate candidacy
Congressman Anne Wagner writes in an editorial in MOTimes (see here) that she is running for re-election. I’m running for re-election to Congress because Missourians need a principled fighter who will hold the Biden administration accountable and stand up for what we believe and care about.
What this means
This probably leaves the MP Vicky Hartzler as the only leading female candidate in the race. That’s not a huge demographic advantage in a Republican primary like in a Democratic primary. But it is still useful.
· This reinforces the fact that one of the key objectives of the redistribution process for Republicans will be to consolidate CD-2, making it more Republican. This, in turn, decreases the likelihood that St. Charles is entirely within a congressional district.
· It hurts Dems’ dream of flipping CD-2. Not just because the district will turn redder in the redistribution, but because their hope of a crazy right-wing candidate emerging from an overcrowded GOP primary has just vanished.
Driving by day: election day
It’s election day in many municipalities, but the ballots will be thin. And turnout will likely be low.
Among the subjects that attract attention …
· St. Louis Community College tax increase.
· Controversial change by Webster Groves to its zoning code.
· In Jefferson City, Proposition 1 is the renewal of the city’s capital improvement sales tax.
Where are we on CD-7
With a bus tour for next week, the congressman Billy Long is expected to announce his candidacy for the US Senate. Here is an overview of our position on who could run for their seat in Congress.
The best guess at the moment is a five-man plan, including three state senators …
Sen. Eric burlison – It suits the district perfectly with its conservative voting record. He’s not as exciting as Long, but who is?
Sen. Mike Moon – rumor has it that he was “in Washington last week for meetings”. It’s hard to imagine, but while true speaks volumes, his candidacy should be taken seriously.
Sen. Lincoln hough – One of the most prolific fundraisers in the region. People wonder if he’s too moderate to have a legitimate chance in a Republican primary. It probably depends on the size of the land.
Dr. Sam alexandra – A source says “he has $ 300,000 in commitments.” If that’s true, it’s a good start. It is always useful not to have a voting record.
· Joelle Cannon / Elijah Haahr – Both have been mentioned, but the power couples are not opposed. This is how someone ends up on the sofa …
OUT – I’ve mentioned these people before, but I’ve been told they don’t want to run: Jack Goodman, John Russell and Cody Smith.
Harris US Atty Front-Runner?
MOScouter tips … “Leader for the United States Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of MO Reggie Harris to the blessing of the congressman Cori bush and now works for the circuit attorney Kimberly Gardner until the appointment if approved by the president.
Schmitt Web Ad
The pro-Eric schmitt PAC, Save Missouri Values, posted a web ad, which Politico says it’s backed by modest five-figure buy.
See the video here. It shows Schmitt backing Trump, taking legal action to try to change the results of the presidential election, suing the Chinese nation, and more.
It’s a tough sell to make Schmitt look Trumpy, but they’re going to go.
COVID hospitalizations reached 2,000
According to the state’s database, more than 2,000 Missourians are now hospitalized with COVID. This included more than 600 in intensive care units and 295 on ventilators.
· This compares to a pandemic peak of around 2,850 in hospital and 680 in intensive care units.
· See a graphic here.
August budget figures
With the first month of the new fiscal year behind us, it is worth reprinting this note on the budget numbers. It will be another great year of revenue tracking …
Due to the COVID pandemic, the 2020 income tax filing deadlines in April and June have been extended to July 15, 2020. As a result, approximately $ 783,800,000 in income tax receipts have been extended. been moved from EF20 to EF21. Therefore, the comparison of FY21 to FY22 will be negatively affected throughout FY22.
· Missouri state revenue looks okay despite some ugly looking comparisons.
Gasoline tax sheltered from referendum
MissouriNet reports that “a group called Americans For Prosperity-Missouri is no longer pursuing its attempt to reverse a Missouri gas tax hike. Jeremy Cady, with the libertarian-conservative group, upheld the decision.
· It underscores what a Herculean task organized labor undertook years ago to overturn right to work legislation. It is not easy to mobilize the resources for a referendum. And we have never seen an organizing campaign committee set up to deal with the gas tax.
Rosenbaum Interviews Parson
The powerfull Jason rosenbaum Governor interviewed Mike Parson in a large-scale interview. Listen to it here.
Parson says he’s not convinced masks work to slow the spread of COVID.
· He rejects the idea of a special session to thwart the expansion of Medicaid.
· He questioned whether the legislature should adopt the language of recreational marijuana rather than leaving the process to a potential petition of initiative.
And he names Bond Kit as one of Missouri’s greatest statesmen.
MHA names Doolittle next CEO
Press release: “The board of directors of the Missouri Hospital Association has selected Jon D. Doolittle as the next President and CEO, after extensive national research. Doolittle joins the association after 11 years at Mosaic Medical Center – Albany, in Northwest Missouri. He succeeds Herb B. Kuhn, who will retire after leading the association as President and CEO of MHA since September 2009. Doolittle will join MHA at the end of October… ”
· MHA is a big force in the capital representing state hospitals – many times one of the largest employers in their area.
Additionally, he finds himself in the midst of some of the biggest issues (Medicaid expansion, COVID response).
Outgoing CEO Herb KuhnCompensation for, according to the organization’s 990, was over $ 1.2 million in 2019.
The Francis Howell families were formed. It’s a PAC. Its treasurer is Viviane Gontarz.
Over $ 5,000 in contributions
MO Insurance Coalition PAC – $ 8,250 from CFM Insurance, Inc.
American Dream PAC (pro-Kehoe) – $ 10,000 from MACO Development Company LLC
Invest in St. Louis Community College – $ 25,000 from Edward Jones.
James Harris added Carvana.
Happy birthdays to Dan Engemann, Bev Randles, and Larry wilson.